BOYS IN TROUBLE
Sean Dorsey Dance
Choreographed and written by Sean Dorsey
Movement created and performed by Sean Dorsey, Brian Fisher, ArVejon Jones, Nol Simonse, Will Woodward
Original music composed by Alex Kelly, Jesse Olsen Bay, Ben Kessler, Anomie Belle, LD Brown/Grey Reverend
Additional text by ArVejon Jones and Nol Simonse
Soundscore design, music direction, soundscore written and narrated by: Sean Dorsey
Sound Recording/Mixing: Grace Coleman, Laura Dean
Technical Director/Stage Manager: Emily Paulson
Lighting Designer: Clyde Sheets
Costume Designer: Tiffany Amundson
Presented in partnership with Performance as Public Practice at the Department of Theatre and Dance and KUT-FM
The presentation of Sean Dorsey Dance BOYS IN TROUBLE was made possible by the New England Foundation for the Arts' National Dance Project, with lead funding from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Trailblazing transgender choreographer Sean Dorsey returns to the stage with BOYS IN TROUBLE, a new evening of dances that unpack masculinity with unflinching honesty—from unapologetically trans and queer perspectives.
True Transsexual Confessions. An unabashed love letter between queer Black men. A send-up of all things Macho. A queer spin on butchness. Real talk about whiteness. An invitation to look deeply at shame. A witness to hurt and heartbreak. A road map for another way.
With stark honesty, powerful storytelling, and breathtaking dancing, these dances celebrate expansive trans and queer gender expression, and move audiences to examine their own assumptions and experiences of gender.
Note: This performance contains adult language and some themes of violence.
Note: All-gender restrooms will be provided for this performance.
A visually stunning, emotionally rich, and profoundly timely examination of masculinity and gender by one of the nation’s most visionary choreographers.
– San Francisco Bay Times
- Sean Dorsey has been recognized as the first acclaimed transgender modern dance choreographer in the US.
- Dorsey has been awarded four Duncan Dance Awards, the Goldie Award for Performance, and has been named in Dance Magazine’s, “25 to Watch.”
- Sean Dorsey Dance is home to TRANSform Dance, a national advocacy and education program that provides resources, education and leadership development to advance trans equity in dance.
- Dorsey is the founder and Artistic Director of Fresh Meat Productions, the nation’s first organization to create, present and tour year-round multidisciplinary transgender arts programs.
- Dorsey has previously worked with writer-director duo Lana and Lilly Wachowski behind ground-breaking movies such as The Matrix (1999) and Cloud Atlas (2012).