In support of the Red River Alignment Project for the new Moody Center, please be advised there will be on-going construction and detours surrounding the Texas Performing Arts venues. Visit the Directions and Parking page for the most up to date information on expected traffic congestion and road closures.
John Cameron Mitchell
The Origin of Love: The Songs and Stories of Hedwig
with special guest Amber Martin
featuring the songs of Hedwig by Stephen Trask
Presented in partnership with KLRU-TV
John Cameron Mitchell, the double Tony Award winning, Golden Globe-nominated co-creator of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, brings songs and stories from his history in a big, brash and bold rock spectacle, performing songs from his groundbreaking rock musical and regaling audiences with stories from 20 years of Hedwig with special guest Amber Martin.
Mitchell will also preview songs from his upcoming musical podcast Anthem starring himself, Glenn Close, Patti Lupone, Cynthia Erivo, Denis O'Hare, Laurie Anderson, and Marion Cotillard. So, put on some make-up, turn up the eight-track, and pull the wig down from the shelf—for a night of post-punk, neo-glam rock—a collective quest for love, hope, and identity.
The Origin of Love is a brand-new revelation, and John Cameron Mitchell is as relevant today as he has been for more than 20 years.
– Broadway World Australia
The Origin of Love from QPAC on YouTube.
- John Cameron Mitchell has received two Tony Awards and was nominated for a Golden Globe.
- John Cameron Mitchell was born in El Paso, Texas and grew up on several army bases.
- His first stage role was the Virgin Mary in a nativity musical staged at his Scottish boys boarding school when he was 11 years old.
- Mitchell is a series regular cast member in Hulu's Shrill starring Aidy Bryant based on Lindy West's memoir of the same name set to premiere in 2019.
- Mitchell came out publicly in a New York Times profile in 1992; His subsequent writing has often explored sexuality and gender.