Michelle Dorrance, Artistic Director
ETM: Double Down
Presented in partnership with Texas Theatre and Dance and KUT-FM
This performance is made possible in part by the Topfer Endowment for Performing Arts Production and Applied Materials Foundation.
Founded in 2011 by artistic director and 2015 MacArthur Fellow, Michelle Dorrance, Dorrance Dance is an award-winning New York-based tap company whose work presents the beautiful history of America’s original dance form in a fresh, dynamic, and compelling context.
ETM: Double Down celebrates the extreme mobility of the percussive body, combining rhythm with interactive electronic music technology in a perfect fusion of movement and sound. ETM: Double Down features eight dancers and three musicians working together to create a dazzling symphony of rhythmic nuances. Don’t miss Dorrance Dance’s exciting visual and auditory extravaganza that seamlessly merges modernity with tradition.
One of the most imaginative tap choreographers working today.
– The New Yorker
- Using original tap “instruments” designed by 2014 Bessie Award Winner Nicholas Van Young, the score of ETM: Double Down is not simply danced to, but danced BY the company.
- Michelle Dorrance collaborated with Nicholas Van Young on Works and Process at the Guggenheim Museum’s first site-specific commission for the Guggenheim Rotunda.
- Among her many honors, Dorrance is a New York City Center Choreography Fellow, a United States Artists Award Recipient, and a MacArthur Fellow.
- Dorrance is an artist-in-residence at the American Tap Dance Foundation.
- Dorrance is a Virgo (Aquarius rising, Gemini moon), and her favorite colors are various shades of green and grey.