In support of the Red River Alignment Project for the new Moody Center, please be advised there will be on-going construction and detours surrounding the Texas Performing Arts venues. Visit the Directions and Parking page for the most up to date information on expected traffic congestion and road closures.
AXIS Dance Company
With Works by Jennifer Archibald, Marc Brew & Robert Dekkers
Presented in partnership with Art Spark Texas and KUT-FM
Prepare to leave all your preconceptions at the door!
AXIS Dance Company, one of the world's most acclaimed and innovative ensembles of performers with and without disabilities, will change the way you think about dance and the possibilities of the human body forever. Founded in 1987 and based in Oakland, California, AXIS has become a jewel of contemporary dance and disability culture. AXIS has paved the way for a powerful contemporary dance form—physically integrated dance—performing in over 100 cities in the US, Israel, UK, Europe, and Russia.
For their Austin debut, AXIS brings three short performances to Bass Concert Hall:
- Petrichor– the smell of earth after rain by Jennifer Archibald. This program, offers snapshots of intimate connections and pushes the dancers of AXIS to face how gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.
Flutter by Robert Dekker. A trio of dancers explore the balance between structure and freedom, between holding on and letting go, and between individuality and interconnectedness.
Radical Impact by Marc Brew. Performers explore what it means to be human through music and movement, investigating themes around identity. The work draws on each dancer’s unique experiences, and how they identify in the world and connect with others - telling their stories through the medium of dance.
Discussion with Company Members
Sat, Feb 15
Immediately Following the Performance
Bass Concert Hall
For Ticket Holders
Fearless and contemporary, and inventive and reinvigorated. AXIS is breaking artistic ground.
– San Francisco Chronicle
- AXIS Dance Company has received seven Isadora Duncan Dance Awards and has appeared twice on FOX TV’s So You Think You Can Dance.
- Part of Axis Dance Company’s mission is to create opportunities locally and abroad for people with disabilities to engage in dance by championing access, inclusion and equity for people with disabilities in dance and in the community.
- Founding Member and Artistic Director Emerita Judith Smith helped launch AXIS in 1987 and she grew the Company to be the nation’s leading physically integrated dance ensemble.
- In 2017, AXIS appointed acclaimed international choreographer and dancer Marc Brew to the position of Artistic Director. Marc Brew comes to AXIS with over 20 years of performance and Artistic Direction experience.