The Glass Bottom Boat (MGM 1966), a view of Avalon, a city on Santa Catalina Island, in 1966
35'-10" x 19'-10"
Edward C. Carfagno, Production Designer
George W. Davis, Art Director
George Gibson, Scenic Art Supervisor
Scenic Art Attributed to: Clark Provins, Duncan Spencer, and Harry Tepker
Painted for the 1960s, Doris Day, Spy Comedy, The Glass Bottom Boat, this beautiful rendition of the famous 1929 Catalina Casino in Avalon on Santa Catalina Island glows with each tiny street light pin-hole and dramatic architectural up-lighting. Each street light lamp was individually punched out of the backdrop and lined with china silk to enhance the glowing effect. The color changes in the downtown district achieved by taping colored gels onto the back of the drop gave the art director the ability to quickly transform the look. Fun fact, the historic casino structure built by chewing gum magnate William Wrigley, Jr. was the first theatre designed for films with sound, 'Talkies." Studio moguls would yacht out to Avalon to take in early screenings of their newest cinematic productions.