In support of the new multi-purpose arena, a separate project will realign Red River Street from the 1800 block to East Dean Keeton Street. The Red River realignment will have multiple travel impacts beginning on Monday, December 2.
From December 2, 2019, until January 2022, the campus community can expect these travel impacts:
- Red River will be closed from Clyde Littlefield Drive to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard (MLK).
- Robert Dedman Drive will be closed at Red River to just north of the 20th Street intersection.
- Access to 20th Street from San Jacinto will be closed and reopened in spring 2020.
The University of Texas Jazz Orchestra
Jeff Hellmer, Director
with special guest
Dave Douglas, trumpet
Presented in partnership with the Butler School of Music and KUTX’s Sunday Morning Jazz with Jay Trachtenberg
Prolific trumpeter, composer and, educator Dave Douglas joins the UT Jazz Orchestra as part of the Butler School of Music’s annual Longhorn Jazz Festival.
Recognized as one of the most important and original American jazz and improvisation musicians, Dave Douglas’ many accolades include a Guggenheim Fellowship, an Aaron Copland award and two Grammy nominations. He has developed work for many unique ensembles and has released 38 albums as a leader.
Directed by Professor Jeff Hellmer, the UT Jazz Orchestra is the Butler School of Music's premiere jazz ensemble. In recent years, the Jazz Orchestra has performed with such luminaries as Michael Brecker, Maria Schneider, Stefon Harris, Joshua Redman, Cyrus Chestnut, Conrad Herwig, and Joe Lovano.
Dave Douglas is the unassuming king of independent jazz, a model of do-it-yourself moxie, initiative and artistic freedom.
- Dave Douglas’s career spans more than 50 unique original recordings and more than 500 published works.
- As a composer, Douglas has received commissions from the Trisha Brown Dance Company, Essen Philharmonie, Stanford University and Monash Art Ensemble.
- In 2005, Douglas founded Greenleaf Music, an umbrella company for his recordings, sheet music, podcast, as well as the music of other artists in the modern jazz scene.