In support of the new multi-purpose arena, a separate project will realign Red River Street from the 1800 block to East Dean Keeton Street. The Red River realignment will have multiple travel impacts beginning on Monday, December 2.
From December 2, 2019, until January 2022, the campus community can expect these travel impacts:
- Red River will be closed from Clyde Littlefield Drive to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard (MLK).
- Robert Dedman Drive will be closed at Red River to just north of the 20th Street intersection.
- Access to 20th Street from San Jacinto will be closed and reopened in spring 2020.
There is a sold-out concert at Bass Concert Hall the same night as this performance. Please allow extra time to may your way to the venue.
Rolston String Quartet
Luri Lee, violin
Emily Kruspe, violin
Hezekiah Leung, viola
Joshua Halpern, cello
Presented in partnership with KMFA-FM
This performance is made possible in part by Chamber Music America and The Cleveland Quartet Award.
Winner of the Cleveland Quartet Award for the 2018–19 and 2019–20 seasons and the 2016 First Prize winner of the prestigious Banff International String Quartet Competition, Rolston String Quartet was named among the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s 2016 “30 Hot Canadian Classical Musicians Under 30.” In 2017, Rolston String Quartet began a two-year term as the Yale School of Music's fellowship quartet-in-residence and have also served as the graduate quartet-in-residence at Rice University's Shepherd School of Music.
Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847)
String Quartet No. 2 in a minor, Op. 13, Ist es wahr? (Is it true?)
I. Adagio - Allegro Vivace
II. Adagio non lento
III. Intermezzo. Allegretto con moto - Allegro di molto
IV. Presto - Adagio non lento
Erwin Schulhoff (1894-1942)
Five Pieces (5 Stücke) for String Quartet
I. Alla Valse Viennese. Allegro
II. Alla Serenata. Allegretto con moto
III. Alla Czeca. Molto Allegro IV. Alla Tango. Andante
V. Alla Tarantella. Prestissimo con fuoco
Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
String Quartet No. 13 in B flat Major, Op. 130/133
I. Adagio ma non troppo - Allegro
III. Andante con moto, ma non troppo
IV. Alla danza tedesca. Allegro Assai
V. Cavatina. Adagio molto espressivo
VI. Große Fuge
A maturity and cohesion rivaling the best string quartets in the world.
– Musical Toronto
- The Rolston String Quartet was the first ensemble chosen for the Cleveland Quartet Award from Chamber Music America in 2018.
- The quartet was formed in the summer of 2013 at the Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity’s Chamber Music Residency.
- The 2017–18 season marked the quartet’s 100-concert milestone with performances throughout Canada, United States, Germany, Brussels, Italy, and Israel.
- They take their name from Canadian violinist Thomas Rolston, the founder and long-time director of the Music and Sound Programs at the Banff Centre.