In support of the Red River Alignment Project for the new Moody Center, please be advised there will be on-going construction and detours surrounding the Texas Performing Arts venues. Visit the Directions and Parking page for the most up to date information on expected traffic congestion and road closures.
Chaplin’s The Kid
Presented in partnership with KUTX’s Eklektikos with John Aielli
Marc Ribot, one of the great eclectic, electric guitarists, has released more than 25 albums under his own name over a 40-year career, exploring everything from the pioneering jazz of Albert Ayler with his group Spiritual Unity, to the Cuban son of Arsenio Rodríguez producing two critically acclaimed releases under Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos, and his critically acclaimed release Silent Movies, which was described by the Village Voice as a “down-in- mouth-near masterpiece.”
Rolling Stone points out that “Guitarist Marc Ribot helped Tom Waits refine a new, weird Americana on 1985's Rain Dogs, and since then he's become the go-to guitar guy for all kinds of roots-music adventurers: Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Elvis Costello, John Mellencamp.”
Opening with a solo set, this show features a screening of Charlie Chaplin’s classic film, The Kid, with a live score provided by Marc Ribot. Ribot’s delicate and at times haunting solo guitar score to The Kid contemporizes this film, which remains a relevant story about our current economic and social conditions.
The integrity of Mr. Ribot’s score, as well as his great skills as a guitarist, enriched the cinematic masterpiece.
– The Wall Street Journal
- Ribot has released 25 albums under his own name over a 40-year career.
- Marc Ribot has worked with numerous acts such as Norah Jones, The Black Keys, and Elton John to name a few.
- Ribot has performed on various music score including The Kids Are All Right, Where the Wild Things Are, Walk the Line, and The Departed.
- In 2009, Marc Ribot was named curator and musical director for the year’s Century of Song Festival, part of the Ruhr Triennale in Germany.
- Marc Ribot is currently touring with several projects including his trio Ceramic Dog.