Presented in partnership with KUT-FM
Award-winning choreographer / director / multi-media artist Daniel Ezralow's unique style of physical expression and articulate choreography has earned him a distinguished reputation as a groundbreaking artist worldwide. His work is celebrated in Julie Taymor’s film Across the Universe, Cirque du Soleil’s Love, and in the opening ceremony of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Ezralow Dance returns to Austin for the first time since 1990.
With his nine-member troupe, Ezralow mingles contemporary dance with humor, provocative ideas, impressive video projections, and an unforgettable classical score in OPEN. “In OPEN I have purposefully chosen to choreograph to a familiar classical score. I want the familiarity to the music to act like an old friend who welcomes you into a new place to explore, play, rediscover and reinvent.” Daniel Ezralow
This is art for all... sophisticated references…flashy gymnastic physicality… brightly colored playfulness… wit and theatricality and back-to-nature humanity. The choreographer is good-naturedly encouraging the audience to be open to life—a bromide, yes, but one with wisdom attached.
– Los Angeles Times
- Daniel Ezralow, the company’s Artistic Director and founder, choreographed numerous productions including the opening ceremony for the 2014 Sochi Olympics, the 78th Annual Academy Awards, and the film Across the Universe.
- Ezralow is the recipient of two American Choreography Awards for Innovative and Outstanding Choreography, the Premio Positano, and an NEA Choreographic Fellowship.
- Ezralow is an original dancer/choreographer for MOMIX, and a founding member and director of ISO Dance.
- Ezralow was nominated for an EMMY in Outstanding Choreography for his work on the 70th Annual Academy Award.
- Ezralow won an American Choreography Award in “Outstanding Achievement in Television - Variety or Special” for “Aeros: The Illusion of Flight,” in 2002.