Live! The Realest MC
Presented in partnership with Texas Theatre and Dance and KUT-FM
Abraham.In.Motion’s work explores choreographer Kyle Abraham’s diverse training in classical music, visual art, and a multitude of dance forms from ballet to hip-hop to give range and depth to his sleek, evocative work. Dance Magazine named him one of the “25 to Watch” in 2009 and has described his work as “elastic and electric, luxuriantly rippling, poetically arranged with moments of perfect stillness that arrive amid splashes of expression.”
Live! The Realest MC references our own humanity in this digital age, creating an abstracted and humorously dark narrative that places the iconic childhood character, Pinocchio, in an industrial dystopia. Inspired by Pinocchio’s plight to be a ‘real boy,’ Abraham’s ensemble dance work investigates gender roles in the black community and the quest for acceptance in the world of hip-hop celebrity.
The pervasive movement style is so bold and even fearless that you might not spot the intricacy of the choreography until the whole seven-member company dances in perfect unison.
– Los Angeles Times
- Kyle Abraham, Artistic Director and Founder of A.I.M, is a 2013 MacArthur Fellow.
- Abraham was selected as one of Dance Magazine’s 25 To Watch for 2009.
- Abraham was among a group of 54 artists around the country to be named a United States Artists Fellow in 2012.
- Abraham’s work “Live! The Realest MC” is a reenactment of Walt Disney’s Pinocchio in an urban environment.
- His piece, “Another Night,” was commissioned by the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.