Hubbard Street Dance Chicago
Glen Edgerton, Artistic Director
Presented in partnership with Texas Theatre and Dance and KUT-FM
Celebrating its 40th season, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago has long been known as one of the most original forces in contemporary dance for its exceptionally talented dancers and a diverse repertoire of adventurous choreography.
Hubbard Street’s eighteen dancers display unparalleled versatility and technique. They transcend preconceptions by juxtaposing works inspired by a variety of genres, including jazz, modern, ballet, and theatrical. Under the artistic direction of Glenn Edgerton, Hubbard Street is one of the only American dance companies to operate year-round and produces bold and passionate performances in the Windy City, across the United States, and abroad.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago ought to bottle itself as a cure for the ills of the era.
– The New York Times
- The company is one of the only ensembles in the U.S. to perform year-round.
- Hubbard Street is the first dance company in the Midwest to offer dance classes for those affected by Parkinson’s disease.
- The main dance company has performed in the dance venues of 44 states and 19 countries.
- The 18 dancers who comprise the main company hail from four countries and 12 states.
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago grew out of the Lou Conte Dance Studio in 1977, when Lou Conte gathered an ensemble of four dancers to perform in senior centers across Chicago.