Presented in partnership with CAET, The Center for Arts and Entertainment Technologies, GAMMA, Game and Mobile Media Applications, and The Texas Tribune
Praised by The New York Times for “conviction, authority and finesse,” Chicago-based Fifth House Ensemble teams up with composer Austin Wintory to present an original, interactive live performance of his Grammy-nominated score to the video game Journey. Described as “the most beautiful game of its time” by IGN, critics have called Journey one of gaming’s crowning achievements.
Never the same each time it is played, Journey is an interactive parable, an anonymous online adventure to experience a person’s life passage and their intersections with others. In this unprecedented collaboration, live musicians respond to the actions of game players in real time on stage. Game players have been pre-selected.
The whole undertaking is marked by spirited music-making of the finest kinds.
– San Francisco Chronicle
- 5HE is currently an Ensemble-in-Residence at the Music Institute of Chicago.
- Journey’s development lasted over three years and was the longest project composer Austin Wintory spent developing.
- Journey received a Grammy nomination for Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media in 2012, becoming the first video game score to receive a Grammy nomination.
- Over the last decade, the ensemble has collaborated with theater groups, visual artists, animators, composers, astronomers, folk musicians and corporate innovators for cross-media performances.
- A member of the Illinois Arts Council’s Arts-in-Education Roster, 5HE has presented performances and residencies at Chicago public schools and the Chicago Cultural Center.