THE WILD PARTY
POST A COMMENT
November 20 - December 5, 2015
Oscar G. Brockett Theatre
$15.00 - $26.00
Presented by Texas Theatre and Dance
The Wild Party
Music and Lyrics by Michael John LaChiusa
Book by Michael John LaChiusa and George C. Wolfe
Based on the poem by Joseph Moncure March
Directed by Cara Phipps
What we are is all we are after midnight dies.
Set in Manhattan in the Roaring Twenties, vaudeville performer Queenie and her volatile partner, Burrs, host an evening of excess for their guests; a collection of the unruly and undone. The jazz and gin-soaked party rages to a mounting sense of threat as artifice and illusion are stripped away. When midnight debauchery leads to tragedy at dawn, this dark and decadent musical reminds us that no party lasts forever.
Viewer discretion is advised. The excess of 1920s America is represented through an exploration of sexuality, violence and graphic racial representation.
The running time of The Wild Party is approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes. There is no late seating.
Become a subscriber and save up to 30%! Learn more about the 2015-2016 Theatre and Dance season.
The Wild Party is presented through special arrangement with R&H Theatricals: http://www.rnhtheatricals.com.
About the director
Cara Phipps’ directing work focuses on new play development and production. She recently worked as a directing intern at Actors Theatre of Louisville where she directed two newly-devised shows, three solo performance pieces and the ten-minute play Grace by Eric John Meyer. Assisting credits at Actors Theatre include The Grown-Up (directed by Ken Rus Schmoll) for the Humana Festival of New American Plays, The Pirates of Penzance (directed by Sean Graney), The Mountaintop (directed by Giovanna Sardelli) and Noises Off (directed by Meredith McDonough). A Bay Area native, Phipps has developed new work with several companies including The Transient Theater, The 06 Ensemble and City Lights Theater Company. She received one of the 2012 FringeNYC Overall Excellence Awards in Directing for her work on the world premiere of Candice Benge’s The Egg Play (New York International Fringe Festival). Phipps is a graduate of the drama program at the University of Portland and is currently pursuing a master of fine arts degree in directing from The University of Texas at Austin.
November 20, 21, December 1-5 at 7:30pm
November 21, 22, December 5 at 2:00pm
The University requires all faculty, staff, students, and visitors to pay for parking on campus. Please be aware when you come to a performance that UT parking has changed and new signage has been posted in regards to the changes. All parking on campus – both ADA and non-ADA requires a permit or payment of fees – this does include the ADA on Robert Dedman Drive. Patrons to the Texas Performing Arts complex are encouraged to park in university parking garages or LBJ surface lots. A discounted parking rate of $6 can be purchased on-line at: https://utparking.clickandpark.com/. The discounted parking is only available online until 10pm, the day prior to an event. Please read signs carefully.
$10 Event Parking is also available for purchase in person on the day of your event at the entrances to the surrounding surface lots and garages. Day of event parking is Cash Only.
Other Performances You May Enjoy
Share with Friends
- AN EVENING WITH CHRIS THILE & EDGAR MEYER
- APOLLO'S FIRE: MONTEVERDI VESPERS
- ARIEL QUARTET
- ArtesAméricas Performances
- A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
- BASETRACK LIVE
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
- BERLIN PHILHARMONIC WIND QUINTET WITH JON NAKAMATSU
- BILL COSBY
- Butler School of Music Performances
- CAMERON CARPENTER
- Campus & Community Education Events
- Department of Theatre and Dance Performances
- DR. LONNIE SMITH TRIO
- eighth blackbird
- Fall For Dance
- FALL FOR DANCE
- HAOCHEN ZHANG
- HOW LITTLE YOU ARE
- HUBBARD STREET DANCE CHICAGO
- JEFF "TAIN" WATTS & UT JAZZ ORCHESTRA
- JORDI SAVALL WITH HESPERION XXI
- Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet
- MARTHA GRAHAM DANCE COMPANY
- MAX RAABE & PALAST ORCHESTER
- NO PLACE TO GO
- Past Performances
- SO PERCUSSION
- SPHINX VIRTUOSI
- STEWART COPELAND & JON KIMURA PARKER
- STORM LARGE
- SWINGLE SINGERS
- THE BIG PICTURE FEATURING DAVID KRAKAUER
- THE LEGACY JOURNEY LIVE! BY DAVE RAMSEY
- THE SARAJEVO HAGGADAH
- THE WORLD AT WAR
- University Events
- UTNT (UT New Theatre)
- VENICE BAROQUE ORCHESTRA WITH AVI AVITAL
- Presales & Promotions
- TICKET INFO
- SUBSCRIPTION INFO
- GROUP TICKETS
- Press Room
- 2014-2015 One-Day Sale on Single Tickets to TPA Season Performances -Thursday, June 5
- BASETRACK LIVE
- Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet with special guest Jon Nakamatsu - October 9 at Bates Recital Hall
- Bill Cosby returns to UT's Bass Concert Hall, September 21, 2014!
- Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer perform together at Bass Concert Hall on September 27
- Harry Connick , Jr. performs at Bass Concert Hall on November 10
- Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet perform LANDFALL at Bass Concert Hall on October 14
- Martha Graham Dance Company, September 25 at Bass Concert Hall
- Sphinx Virtuosi with Catalyst Quartet, October 2 at Bass Concert Hall
- STUDENTS ARE OUR PRIMARY FOCUS
- Texas Performing Arts' Bass Concert Hall is Texas' most popular theater venue
- Texas Performing Arts announces the 2013-2014 Season!
- Texas Performing Arts Announces the 2014-2015 Season
- Texas Performing Arts Furthers Educational Mission
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation awards $400,000 to Texas Performing Arts
- UT Department of Theatre & Dance announces the 2013-2014 Season & Subscription Series